In general releases are made as soon as new features or important bug fixes are available. Release numbers consist of four parts: major-version.compatibility-version.new-features-version.bug-fix-version
- major-version – Used for major releases. There may be little or no backwards compatibility.
- compatibility-version – Used for releases where some coding may be needed for backwards compatibility.
- new-features-version – Used for releases that introduce new features without breaking backwards compatibility.
- bug-fix-version – Used for releases that only contain bug fixes and maintain full backwards compatibility.
communicator-api-1.9 (Aug 23rd, 2011)
- This version of the API requires Communicator Plugin 22.214.171.124 or newer
- Added parent/child device API. It is now possible to determine the device that is hosting an SD card
- Added example to demonstrate parent/child device API
- Added DeviceDisplay example to demonstrate how to list FIT activity files on a mass storage device
- Added ability to retrieve fitness data in TCX format from FIT devices
*Note* because TCX does not fully encapsulate FIT, the conversion can be lossy
- Added example showing how to read fitness data in TCX format from any Garmin fitness device
- Fixed issues with IE9 erroneously reporting that plugin functions and fields do not exist
- Fixed issue in DeviceDisplay layer when listing an empty fitness device
- Fixed a DeviceControl exception that was not properly routed through the registered exception handler
- Corrected and improved several portions of DeviceControl and DevicePlugin documentation
communicator-api-1.8 (Jan 27th, 2011)
- Added ability to list all readable files on a device given a data type name and identifier from GarminDevice.xml.
- Added DeviceDisplay example to demonstrate file listing features.
- File listing support has been incorporated andÂ documented in all layers of the API
- Added ability to determine if a device is file based.
- Added ‘Mozilla’ user agent to the list of allowed browsers on the Mac e.g.: Chrome
- Simplified distributable
- Corrected and clarified various items in documentation
communicator-api-1.7 (August 12th, 2009)
- Added ability to differentiate between FIT and TCX devices
- Added FIT course and user profile write support for FIT devices
- Note about reading FIT files: The getBinaryFile function works on non-Garmin websites only with 2.9.2 or greater version of the Communicator Plugin.
- Fixed conflict issue with Flip4Mac plugin in Safari 4
- Added methods for unit software updates to Control layer
- Added ability to limit number of activities user can upload at once
- Added ability to upload compressed data
- Added fitness workout support (read/write)
- Added fitness goals support (read/write)
- Added support for Windows Safari
- Improved progress status
- Added ability to retrieve datatype file path from device object
- Resurrected unit tests using the YUI Test framework
communicator-api-1.4.2 (February 27th, 2008)
- Added ability to get device XML for the current device
- Added a generic method for writing binary files (GPI specific methods/fields are deprecated and will be removed in 2.0)
- Fixed bugs in the Device Control Demo
- More complete documentation for display options
- Improved end of progress status when writing large binary files to device
communicator-api-1.4.1 (December 19th, 2007)
- Improved internationalization capabilities in DeviceDisplay.
communicator-api-1.4 (December 12th, 2007)
- Added support for Edge 705
- Maven groupId changed to com.garmin.developer
- Required plugin version supported, allowing developers to set the minimum plugin version required on a per-application basis.
communicator-api-1.3 (September 14th, 2007)
- Added the capability to read and write courses, workouts and user profile to fitness devices such as the Edge 305 and Forerunner 305.
- Added Mac plugin detection and support.
- Added the capability to plan trips by writing locations to SD cards without a GPS device present.
- Added the capability to allow a web site to read a directory of fitness activities or courses and then just retrieve details for individual activities.
- Added a function to allow web sites to retrieve fitness data in compressed format.
- Cleaned up and improved JSDocs, linking related functions to each other, and adding minimum plugin version requirements.
- Improved error message reporting for incompatible devices and plugin versions.
communicator-api-1.2 (July 13th, 2007)
communicator-api-1.1 (June 22nd, 2007)
- Support for parsing routes and TCX fitness data
- Ability to send POIs (Points Of Interest) to a device
- Internationalization support
communicator-api-1.0 (May 29th, 2007)
- default CSS styling
communicator-api-0.9 (May 25th, 2007)
- single-button UI support
- object element generation
- device testing and bug fixes
communicator-api-0.8 (May 23th, 2007)
- Extensive device testing and bug fixes
communicator-api-0.7 (May 8th, 2007)
- added Web Drop support and demo page
- added TCX history (training data) read support
- subversion protocol is now https
communicator-api-0.6 (May 2nd, 2007)
- subversion repository moved to public location
- added support for GPI format
- fixed IE bugs
communicator-api-0.5 (April 17th, 2007)
- discover and list connected devices
- read and write track logs
- read and write waypoints
- support GPX file format